Monday, February 18, 2008

Hemihypertrophy

Today Jerry, Trey and I visited the geneticist at Greenwood Genetics. It was there confirmed that Trey does have hemihypertrophy. Every one of us are asymmetrical! To have hemihypertrophy your differences must be 5% or more off.

He will be visiting the geneticist every year and will have ultra-sounds on his abdomen every 3 months until the age of 6-7. Then he will slow down to 1-2 times a year until the age of 10. This is to check for what is called Wilm's tumors (a type of cancer) We were very excited to hear that out of the 3 doctors there, only one had seen a child to actually have a tumor!!!

The doctor projected that the only issues that Trey will have are the different sizes of his body. At this time he will not need shoe lifts (praise the LORD!!) That may come later but she said the difference at this time is not enough to hurt Trey as he learns to walk.

We are very encouraged by this visit and hope to continue to hear only good news. Thanks to all of you for your encouraging words and many prayers!

2 comments:

Erin said...

That is GREAT news!! I'm so happy for you guys. We'll be praying for you all. He is such a cutie :D

Melissa C said...

I am so happy you finally know for sure. I know you are so relieved. I love ya'll so much. Please keep me updated.